How to make your hard earned money go further in the school holidaysBack
Anyone with a child knows those 3 words that are spoken all too often... “Can I have...?”
It’s not always easy to simply say “NO” and our beloved children don’t understand “I can’t afford it”; they really do believe that money grows on trees and that we have a freshly picked batch of it in a bottomless bucket hidden under the bed!
Sadly, this isn’t the case. So how can we tackle the dreaded question from a different approach?
Here’s an idea I would like to share that I have used over the last couple of years with the children in my life and I must say, it works!
- Work out your budget (I usually do it for a week)
- Work out a list of possible activities (including prices and possible extras)
- Write the activities on some cut up pieces of paper (I like to make mine look pretty but this is entirely up to you)
- Provide the children with “THE RULES” (my example is below). These are non-negotiable! I also add in a little incentive to not spend every one of my hard earned pennies.
- Present the child/children the pieces of paper along with a larger sheet of paper with the days of the week listed, plus 7 blank pieces for their final choices (MY EXAMPLE BELOW) Let them debate between them for as long as it may take - it’s quite interesting to hear their reasoning (and arguments) around their decisions!
- Go and make yourself a cuppa (or a something a little stronger if the mood takes you) SIT BACK, RELAX AND LET THE MAGIC HAPPEN
The week’s activities are now sorted and the kids know exactly what’s going on, meaning I don’t have to hear “I’m bored” or “what are we doing today?”
Enjoy, and let us know how you get on! Angie x
Looking for other ideas on how to spend the summer holidays? Claire, our Nursery Consultant, recently wrote a blog on activities and days out in Kent for you and the kids this summer
Share this blog post
Why not subscribe to this blog and receive blog updates!Subscribe